CannTrust is an award-winning, federally regulated licensed cannabis producer, with locations in Vaughan and Niagara, Ontario. We are proudly Canadian, operating a portfolio of well-known brands including CannTrust, Liiv, Synr.g, Peak Leaf and BrewBudz.
At CannTrust, we are committed to providing exceptional customer experience, quality products and consistent, standardized dosing. Our greenhouses produce 95% grade A cannabis flower, which is sold in dried flower, oil and vegan capsule formats. Founded in 2014, our continued success in the medical cannabis market and subsequent expansion into the recreational business, led to us being named Licensed Producer of the Year at the Canadian Cannabis Awards 2018.
Join us in our mission to support our customers and empower our patients to improve their quality of life, by enriching the cannabis experience with the best quality products, educational resources and outstanding service.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate is an agile, business savvy individual who is committed to getting better everyday. You are a passionate influencer with strong communication skills, who is open to giving and receiving feedback. You are customer-centric with an ability to act as a mentor amongst your peers. Of course, you also deliver consistent results by aligning yourself with CannTrust values.
Roles & Responsibilities
· Lead the formulation development (R&D) of new innovative products for Recreational and Medical purposes
· Manage a multidisciplinary team of Scientists including: Chemists, Pharmacists, Formulation Scientists, and Technicians, to develop and optimize new innovative formulations.
· Key deliverables include: Formulation Development Protocols/Reports, Stability Protocols/Report, Validation and Qualification Protocols/Report, Finished Product Specifications, summaries of experimental data, and weekly updates.
· Plan formulation optimization experiments, taking into account Health Canada regulations on excipients, daily tolerable dosages, ICH guidelines, Cannabis Act, and GMP scale-up where applicable.
· Provide insight on regulatory and product development pathways for commercialization.
· Analyze results and provide strategy and insight to team
· Coordinate the development and validation of new analytical methods with methods development team.
· Manage physical lab resources, allocation of space, selection and purchasing of analytical equipment needs, ordering of reagents, chemical inventory, cannabis inventory, and supply chain.
· Allocate work packages, responsibilities, and collect data summaries from Scientific team.
· Conduct continuous gap-assessment of formulation development.
· Holds others and self accountable to gaps in performance, is a champion of feedback
· Acts with Integrity: Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behavior while consistently leading by example; models the CannTrust values
· Motivates team to take timely action, resolves customer escalations in a timely manner
· Monitors progress to departmental goals with company strategy
· Sets department goals & objectives and supports direct reports with achieving results and development plans
· Encourages team to be involved in decisions, encourages talent development
· Executes the performance management cycle activities for the team
· Strong communication skills, ability to promote learning and development; can have difficult conversations
· Complies with all company policies
Education & Experience
· PhD or MSc in chemistry, pharmaceutical formulation, physicochemical sciences or alike
· At least 3 years of work-related Product Development (R&D) experience in the pharmaceutical industry or a relevant field
At least 3 years experience in senior leadership or management role
Strong background in analytical chemistry, formulation, small molecules, food science, veterinary, topicals, nutrition, and/or natural health products
Familiar with developing intellectual property for patents
Familiar with Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Production Practices, Good Documentation Practices
Current understanding of Cannabis Act and GPPs is preferred
· Excellent communication skills, fluent in English
· Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Available to travel to company locations within the GTA
· Must pass an RCMP security clearance
· Exceptional background in Product Development (R&D), formulation, analytical chemistry method development, patents, GMP, food safety, and budget
· Core technical competencies include HPLC method development
· Technical experience with various forms of mass spectroscopy and chromatography
· Experience drafting protocols, reports, and SOPs
· Prior experience working on multidisciplinary teams
· Background in manufacturing process design, analytical method development, patents, and food safety
· Current understanding of Cannabis Act and GPPs is preferred
· While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to be able to lift up to and including 25lbs, sit and/or stand for extended periods of time and reach with arms/hands. Walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, twisting, lifting, pushing, pulling and moving items is occasionally required.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to packaged cannabis products/supplies. The working environment can be noisy at times and temperate, the employee must have knowledge of how to manage their own personal safety under these conditions.
CannTrust is an equal opportunity employer. We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at CannTrust. Please note, only the candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. CannTrust welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.